Wednesday, June 22, 2011

- 2011/06/21 Summer Solstice Sunset Ride

An organized ride up the back of Hogback Mountain to watch the sunset for the Summer Solstice was canceled due to a few snow drifts still blocking that trail. I look at Hogback Mountain from our home's window. It's a fairly long ride around and up the back of it. Turn my head 45 degrees to the right and there stands Hedges Mountain. Only about 40 minutes to the top from my front door. Time to formulate a replacement plan. I watched out the window the day before and noted that the sunshine stopped hitting Hedges at around 9:20PM so knew we had to be up there by then. My buddy, Jesse, would be joining me. Tuesday rolled around and we left 8:15pm and were on top of Hedges relaxing by 9PM.

I turned on the date/time stamp so it's all official like. Ha. Click any of the below images to open a larger view in a new window.

Self portrait in the fading sun.


Still a ways to go...



Canyon Ferry Lake and the Elkhorn Mountains in the background.



Going...



Going...




Gone.


Happy Summer everyone!

Yes, I know that summer technically started at 11:16AM Mountain time on June 21, 2011, but something about the last sunset...actually the first sunset... of Summer makes it official feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment