Wednesday, May 11, 2011

- 2011/05/11 Ottowa Gulch Ride

I had to run an errand up in Marysville, MT today, so hopped on my wife's WR250R (I had left on mine, but immediately had a flat tire so swapped bikes and away I went). While up there, I took the opportunity to see how far up Ottowa Gulch the road was open. Only a bit further than where a buddy had gotten a few days ago. They are doing a lot of work on the roads, as they do every year, with backhoes and big trucks hauling out fill, fixing culverts and basically getting started on the annual maintenance of all the mountain roads and trails. I didn't make it too far, but far enough for some pics.

Still lots of snow up there. If you didn't know they were there, one wouldn't have been able to pick out where the other trails, that branch off of Ottowa Gulch, were located. Deep snow.


Cornices up on one of the ridges.


Since it was so warm today, even up there, the ditches were streams of muddy runoff.


They were doing a great job of ensuring the water flowed into, and remained in, the ditches rather than running down the roads and washing them out. There is still a lot of snow melt run-off in the future, so always good to see them up there shaping things to handle it.

1 comment:

  1. yay for multiple bikes! As much as I like riding in snow, I'd be happy not to see it again until November. :)

    ReplyDelete